Saturday, March 19, 2011

When the Teacher Becomes the Pupil

Today I was working on my resume (yeah, I know... she has an active resume!  It's weird to me too.) and I decided to take a break and read some of my friend's blogs.  Okay, so mostly I only read the ones with very clever blog titles.  Today the only ones I read were girlfriends who are on missions.  I'm pretty much the worst letter writer but I'm grateful they faithfully write home and that their families post them, because I find a whole bunch of strength in them... always.  It's amazing.

Today I learned a couple of things.  First, if you are doing what the Lord needs you to be doing, then everything will turn out okay.  This has brought so much comfort and peace to my heart as I've been rightfully stressing about a zillion things in my life right now; my current job, a future job, dating, housing for the summer and the rest of my life, school, graduation, post-graduation, my spiritual standing, what I should be doing with my life and possibly what I'm doing wrong, and I'm sure other things but can't think of them.  It's been kind of a crazy last few months, to say the least.  It was comforting to read Marci's email and be reminded of the truly important things:  the Lord's will.  She has always been such a strength and inspiration to me in just about everything.  I sure do love that girl!

Second thing I learned, humor is the best way to deal with just about anything.  I'm not talking humor like hurtful humor, but sincerely funny humor.  Look for the little things in your life that are worth laughing about.  I'm convinced they are everywhere.  Merritt's emils/blogs are just about the funniest thing I've ever read.  Don't get me wrong, she also includes the spiritual things too (at which I don't laugh about), but she has an amazing talent in taking the unfavorable (like cramming 11 sister missionaries in one small apartment for the night) and finding the silver lining of it.  She's such an example to me of... well about a million-zillion personality traits  I wish I had, but specifically finding the good in every situation.  She was like that even while we were in Mexico, even when she was sick.  Boy oh boy!  I have great examples. 

#3 Cool thing I learned this week:  sometimes life doesn't turn out the way you want to so that you'll do things that should be of a higher priority.  Now, let me expound:  my brother is serving a mission for our church.  He's been gone... uhh... about 5 weeks??... I think.  (Don't judge me.)  Since he left I think I've wrote him a total of an embarrassingly few times, and this last week he finally wrote me a letter, which is kinda what I was waiting for.  In it he pretty much chastized me for being a poor writer and asked if I was dead.  (Don't worry, the answer to that is clearly 'no.')  During the time that I'd originally planned on spending otherwise (with a friend in SLC), I went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple (as I was already up in the SLC valley) and started reading my scriptures and ended up writing my brother.  I'd put his letter in my notebook - which I always keep in my purse and it was so amazing to re-read it again.  He is such a strength in my life - he always has been.  I wish I could be more like him. I may have cried a little.  I think student teaching the last few weeks prior to his leaving and for several weeks afterwards has been a bit bittersweet for me.  Bitter because I wasn't able to spend as much time as I would have liked to with Shaunie, but also sweet because I know that the pain of having him gone doesn't hurt as badly because I've been enthralled in something else.  Ugh!  I miss that kid like crazy!  He is one of my best friends and is the person I took just about everything to.  Gosh! It's funny how quickly the flood gates can turn on.

Moral of the story:  I am one lucky girl.  I've been incredibly blessed and have so much to be thankful for.  Life is stressful and crazy and sometimes it just flat out bites; but it's all gonna be okay if I'm doing my best to do what the Lord wants me to do.  (Make sense?  Good!)  He really is in control - through the good, bad, and ugly.  I know that putting faith in Him makes the ugly somehow seem beautiful.

-Brittish Knees

No comments:

Post a Comment