Saturday, February 26, 2011

Red Rash... Decisions

Occasionally I make decisions that tend to be a bit rash.  Whether they are related to school, work or relationships I tend to have the same gut wrenching feeling afterward:  regret.  This time is no different.  I'll spare you the lovely details but just take my word for it, and give people the benefit of the doubt.  You might end up burned or with a bit of egg on your face, but at least you won't regret it.  

Onto happier topics, student teaching is going well... relatively speaking.  There pretty much isn't a day that I don't leave the school without having at least one rough patch.  This last week had quite a few of them, but I'm getting to a point that I'm not afraid to be the bad guy.  Not that I'm a big jerk, but I don't feel like I need to be my students' friend, I'm their teacher and I'm responsible for their education.  It's kind of a big deal.  That said, I'd also like to say how much I love being with them and how much joy they bring into my life.  The smallest things go the longest ways.  For example, last week I'd been fighting one student all day and as they were getting ready to leave, turned around and said, "I love you Miss Christian."  Heart melting, I know. It's good to know that what my cooperating teacher, university supervisor and internship coach is true, that students thrive on having boundaries set and enforced.  It feels good. :)

What else is going on in life???  Hmm....?  I don't know that there is a whole lot more to my life at the moment.  My brother, who is in currently in the Provo MTC learning how to be a good missionary, is doing well.  I regret to say that I'm not very good at writing him, but at least he knows I'm still alive and doing well.  (Thanks Mom and Dad!!)  His Spanish is coming along and he gets along with his companion.  Part of me is still slightly envious of him and the experiences that are ahead of him.  We'll see what the future has in store for me.  Maybe I'll again follow in his footsteps or maybe I'll blaze my own, new trail.  

Ugh, can you tell that I really don't want to do homework?  It's awful cause I know that the longer I put it off, the longer I'll be at this cubical in the north part of the BYU library.  I guess at least I have window seat to watching the snow fall. (Random thought: have you ever seen a snow storm from the window seat of an airplane?  I think that would be kind of cool.)  Alright, deep breathe - check, water bottle - check, determination - uncheck, but alas I must face the math and start planning.  

Until next time (probably next week, when I'm here again), this is Brittish Knees signing off! (It's it fun to write as though you are a pilot or something???  Okay.... I'm leaving now.)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have seen a snow storm from the window seat (and cockpit) of an airplane. Even the slightest flurries look like the blizzard of the century!

    ReplyDelete