Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tis the Season to be stressed out! Fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la!

I often find myself blogging to post to you (whoever 'you' are) and find myself pouring my heart, soul and guts into a post.  I'll spare you the yuck and simply give you the solution I came up with:  life is hard.  I know... News Flash!  Haha.  No but really.  I think everyone... or at least I get wrapped up in all of these fears and insecurities about the future or whatever.  Insecurities that in reality I have no control over.  It's totally backwards, I know.  

However despite my insecurities and fears I know I can find solace in one consistent place: my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I read a friends blog the other day who is currently serving a mission for our Church and she shared something that I think was just for me.  (The following is a cut and paste job from her post.  Thanks Merrit!)


The Physician

"Behold, I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance. THE WHOLE NEED NO PHYSICIAN, BUT THEY THAT ARE SICK." Moroni 8:(can’t remember the verse at the moment)

Christ didn't come for the righteous. He came to heal the sick. He is the ultimate physician, healing us from our broken hearts, guilt, depression, stress, anxiety, fear, frustration, past mistakes, and every other illness we might have. Like a physician, he has all the tools to make us better - stethoscopes, thermometer, prescriptions, heart monitors, etc. He has it all and he knows how to use it without flaw. 

Perhaps doctors here make mistakes. They give incorrect diagnosis or the wrong prescription but Christ never messes up. He is perfect and heals us perfectly. But like doctors here, The Physician cannot heal us unless we go to him. Doctors don´t go door to door each day making people better. You must go to their office. Sometimes we are stubborn and don’t want to go to the doctor because we don´t believe they can say anything to help us feel better. We try to solve it on our own. But then we finally realize that perhaps we don´t actually know everything and maybe, just maybe, we could use a little help. So we go to the doctor and he checks and few things, discovers the problem, and sends us on our way with the tools to fix it. We miraculously feel better in no time. And then we wonder why we didn't go to him in the first place. 

And thus it is with the Savior. His job is to heal us. That is why he came to earth. He knows what we need to be whole again. How does he know? He went through all the agony of medical school just like any other doctor. Except his schooling was a bit unconventional. His classroom was in the Garden of Gethsemane and his final exam on the Cross of Calvary. He graduated medical school as the valedictorian. He did everything in order to know how to help us and heal us. 

Sometimes I get frustrated when I go to the doctor and he tells me things I already know - drink lots of water and get lots of sleep. I want the magic solution to all of my ailments. The same happens with the Savior. I finally decide to quit pretending like I have all the answers so I go to him for help. And he tells me all the things I already know - read my scriptures, pray, go to church, keep the commandments. I get mad because I want him to give me a magic pill so I will be healed. I want him to tell me something like "Go to the corner where there is a gas station. Wait for 5 minutes and a man in a purple suit will approach you and give you a box. Inside of the box you will find a new heart to replace your broken one. Bring the box to me and I will operate next Tuesday. You will be as good as new on Friday."

But that´s not how he works. I tell him my heart is broken and he tells me to pray harder and read more of his words. And even though I am a little frustrated or disappoints, I know he is right. 

But no matter what his diagnosis or prescription or method of healing, he always holds my hand and tells me it´s going to be alright. He tells me that he knows that it hurts and that he knows how I feel. He lets me cry, and sometimes he cries with me. Sometimes the healing is instant and sometimes it is a long process of lots of doctor visits and treatments and support from family and friends. But I am always healed. 

We are counseled to go to the doctor frequently for check-ups, just in case there are problems we can´t detect ourselves. Without frequent check-ups problems could get bigger and bigger and eventually dominate our lives. But if we catch the issue early it can be taken care of. So we should also go to the Master Healer regularly as well. He will help us detect problems and fix them for us before they kill us inside. 

And the key with getting help from the doctor is that we have to follow through with treatment. If we don´t do our part we can´t be healed. I remember when I had my ACL surgery and I had to do so much on my own to make my knee better. The doctor did the surgery, but afterward I had to follow through with hours and hours and physical therapy. It hurt like crazy some days, but I did it and now my knee is back to normal. If I hadn't done my part the surgery would have been useless. 

When we turn to the Savior for help, he will help us. But we must be willing to do our part and follow through with the treatment he prescribes, even if it seems dumb or pointless. We must have enough faith and hope that he is smarter than us and knows how to make us better.

I know that Christ is the ultimate and perfect healer. I know that he is genuinely concerned about my well being and wants to make me whole. And more than that, I know that he can. I know that he knows how I feel when I hurt so badly that I can´t even breathe. I know that as I turn to him regularly with a willingness to complete my part of the treatment he will take away my pain and make me healthy again. I am eternally grateful for a Savior who suffered through the most rigorous medical school of all time - the atonement - so that he could solve any measure of pain or illness in our lives.


I find it no coincide that I needed a reminder  that I don't have to handle all of these insecurities and fears on my own.  In fact, I don't have to be burdened by them at all!  My Savior, Jesus Christ already took care of them.  He paid the price and is willing to figuratively 'hold my hand' through the hardest of hard times - mind you so long as I let Him He'll be there all the other times too.  

I would hope that none of 'you' would need this reminder too, but just in case.   I wish you well in the rest of final, work or whatever you're doing at this time.  Don't forget that you've got The Ultimate Physician on your side. :)

Until next time,
Brittish Knees 

No comments:

Post a Comment