Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A True Friend

So... I know I'm going to sound depressed but I promise I'm not. Today I just took a few minutes to reflect on one the the things I've been most grateful for:


Lately I've been thinking about the people who have impacts on my life. Often we call these people friends. As I started to make a list of them, I found it growing exponentially. I of course included my family, closest friends and Savior. Not to forget the countless institute teachers and church leaders (Bishoprics, teachers, home and visiting teachers) who have taught me lessons beyond the manual or Ensign.

As the week has past I've spent time pondering the impact that one person can have on a life; particularly the impact persons have had in my life. This person whom I've been thinking of doesn't know all he's done for me, but he's changed my outlook and has helped me to reform the way I treat others. He is by no coincidence, Brother Weber, my former institute teacher. The only conclusion I can come to is that Brother (Bishop) Weber isn't just an institute teacher. He recognizes that he's not only employed by CES, but rather that he is in the life saving business. He sees the importance of going from teacher-student and transforming that relationship to one of trust and friendship. Maybe it's the calling as Bishop, or maybe it's the therapist in him - whatever it is because of him I've more fully begun to learn what it is to be a friend.

A friend is someone who has a listening ear when you need it most. Who can ask the right questions to get you to think about the answers you already know. They can help you know that you're loved during the best and worst times. They might be in your life for just a brief moment, or can grace you with their presence throughout your days on the earth. I think a friend is really someone the Lord knows can help, support or love you when you need it most.

Today I'm grateful for Brother Weber, he is the angel who knew what to say, what to ask, and how to love me when I needed it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment