Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Years Resolve 2011- Forever!

A few days ago I changed the wallpaper on my desktop at work to this photo:


  

Please notice the little girl in the bottom right corner.  Don't you just love the smile you can see in her eyes (pronounced aye-yez)?  This photo is of just a few of the children I worked with during the summer of 2010.  I find my heart melting and my eyes tearing up when I take the time to stop and glance at my computer screen...




Oops! Sorry!!






They are truly some of the most beautiful children I've ever been amongst.  They have so little, but love life, live it to it's fullest, and are truly happy.  This got me thinking... again about what I want out of life.  Below is a list of some of those things:
  • To do more traveling
  • To make a difference - locally and abroad
  • Spend more time in the Temple
  • To fall in love; true love
  • To live in another country
  • To live in another state
  • To be self-sufficient
  • To buy a new car
  • To have time to read a grundle of books
  • To have a family of my own
  • To know what a truly sleepless night is because a child... my child is screaming
  • To have about a gazillion more life changing experiences
  • Have 80 ka-thousand reality checks
  • Spend time with those I love and build better relationships with them
  • Feed the ducks once a month, as weather permits
  • Take the time to stop and think (can easily be done while feeding the ducks) :)
  • Fly a kit at least once a year
  • Go somewhere new monthly; ideally traveling, but at least to a new restaurant or park
  • Share the Gospel everywhere I go
  • Run a marathon... or at least a 1/2 marathon
  • Do something crazy
  • Smell the flowers each spring
  • Plant daisys at my house someday
  • Enjoy the sunset at least once a week
  • To be grateful for my blessings and show it (aka serve more!)

I guess in a nutshell these are the beginnings of some of my New Years Resolutions not necessarily for this year, but for my life.  I found that as I get started with lists like this it's easy to see how much I've been blessed with.  Stop and think about it, if you have the ability to read this blog (and bless those of you who do) you have a lot: an education, access to a computer, and probably a warm place to live.  AND THAT'S JUST THE BEGINNING!  

New Years Resolutions are typically related to loosing weight/being more active, attaining "this" or "that", going somewhere, or doing something.  While those are good (hence my own list of them), I challenge you, and me make it a priority to look beyond ourselves.  See the world and the people therein for the potential it/they behold.  I think you'll find yourself amazed.  

There is a God in the Heavens!  He's aware of His children (US!) and he wants us to be happy. :)  Happy New Year, ya'll!

1 comment: