Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In honor of an im-port-tan-te dia a mi casa.

Today is a day we've been anxiously waiting for for the past...

19 years

(and I've kinda secretly been dreading for the past year or so). Today Shaun got his "big white envelope" in the mail. For those of you who aren't familiar with the significance of this let me fill ya in.

My family and I are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Part of our religion requires all faithful young men to serve a mission where they will spread the Gospel (our beliefs) to a specified place in the world. This mission will be full time for up to two years, at their own expense. I know this sounds like a lot to sacrifice, and it is. However I've seen the fruits of partaking in such a work as I watched my older brother serve and I know the blessings from Our Creator surpass everything that could be obtained otherwise.

Missionaries often wear tags like the one below setting them apart from the average person you'd meet on the street. They work hard everyday from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm teaching, serving and looking for people who are interested in hearing their message.

As I process the significance of today I find myself incredibly excited for this new chapter in not only my brother's life, but also in the life of my entire family. Missions have helped to bring my family together in the past and I anticipate that again in the future. My excitement for my brother most certainly out-weighs the sadness I'll feel as he leaves but I couldn't be more pleased to have such a good example of obedience in a best friend.

So until you open the white envelope that holds so much of your not so distant future... thanks for everything Buddy!

3 comments:

  1. Where's he going?!?!?! I am so excited!!! Congrats Shaun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bummed I got rid of text cause my dad called me last night to tell me about it!..bummed cause I wanted to text you and him. I'm WAY excited for him. He's going to do so well. Please tell him that Cody and I said congrats! And if you ever need a friend...well, that's what cousins are for! Sure do love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tairsa,

    He's going to the Mexico Hermosillo Mission. He'll be leaving on January 26 to the Provo MTC. I'm so excited for him!

    Kaylie,

    I'm sad you don't have texting either, but sometime we've got to cut the unnecessary wants. I'll pass on your congrats! I'll be okay without him, but thank you for your comfort! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete