Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Seoul, South Korea

A day-by-day entry is to come, but until then... here is a teaser of my adventures:


I can't even begin to describe the feelings that are in my heart from the experiences I had during the 2010 Peace Camp for Youth in South Korea.

The people of Korea are absolutely beautiful! The places are exquisite and knowing that they were able to lift themselves from the terror of communism and war, to the world power they now are is incredible. I feel confident in saying that those of us who were able to participate in the program shared experiences of solemnity at museums and memorials, had a small taste of the heartbreak families who lost fathers, sons, brothers or other loved ones had to endure, see the joy and hope freedom brings to a war torn people and build friendships with students across the globe.


I feel as though I landed in Inch 'on very uneducated regarding my knowledge of South Korea and the Korean War, and left with volumes of valuable information that I regularly pass on to others. Going to the places my Grandfather served in and around during his time as a soldier in the War has created a bond to him that I never thought possible. The memories and feelings I made and brought back from the museums, memorials, lectures and interactions with the participants and citizens of South Korea are experiences that I'll always look back on with the up most gratitude. No longer will I think of South Korea as simply a place between China and Japan, but rather as an incredibly strong country that will forever have a very special place in my heart.

This is a photo of those with whom I shared this wonderful experience with!

No comments:

Post a Comment