Friday, June 18, 2010

VIVA LA MEXICO!!!

Well, I finally l made it! I've got a stamp in my passport and for the next week and a half-ish I´m in Mexico! :) Oh happy day!

Over the last few days we've spent three of them working in the village (in the school, microenterprise projects, building a free standing bathroom, and preparing for a medical fair - which will be this Monday!) The children here are beautiful and I already love them so much. They have so little, but are also so happy with what they do have. It´s a pitty many Americans don´t get the opportunity to see the poverty that many in the world experience. I wish I´d brought my photo USB drive so I could post photos for everyone to see... I think that was the one thing I forgot. Oh well...

The food here is delicious, well... everything thus far minus lunch yesterday. We had plantains with this nasty smelling cheese on them. I couldn't bring myself to even try them, but two of the girls I've become good friends with did and they confirmed what my nose already knew. At every meal we have coffee and herbal tea served to us. The tea is non-caffeinated so for the first few days I drank it. The problem is for the rest of the day you smell this tea everywhere; in the compound where we stay, in the village, and on your clothes - it´s not bad, but definitely not my favorite drink. They also serve black beans (yummy!) and rice (which is also very yummy) at almost every meal. I don´t have a problem with this, but I think some of the kids are getting tired of it already. Sad day. :(

Today we had the opportunity (after spending the morning working in the village) to go into Chamula. There were lots of little shops selling all the same products; shirts, dresses, bracelets, etc. This is HUGE problem in the area because the that´s all the women know how to make, so the market is really saturated and then nobody can provide for basic needs. Many of the children, and adults are malnourished. They eat a lot of junk food and drink Coke and alcohol. It´s super sad. In fact yesterday on our way to the village we saw a man passed out on the side of the road. He was totally wasted. Lots of the kids on the bus were laughing and taking photos, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Ahh the joys that the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings to your life. I definitely feel privileged to have the knowledge I do.

Well, I've got to go. My half hour is up! I hope to be back tomorrow, after I change my money in to pesos.

I love you all! Thanks for the support and prayers!
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment